Chicken ghee roast is a very popular Mangalorean dish and paired with Neer Dosa or Appam, it makes for an awesome meal. The ghee roast originated in Kundapur near Mangalore. The strong aroma of a mixture of spices fried in ghee, enveloping the chicken pieces make it a delectable dish.
Chicken 800 gms dressed and cut into bite size pieces
Yogurt 1 cup
Red Chilli powder 1 tsp
Turmeric 1/4 tsp
Ginger 1/2 Tsp paste
Garlic 1/2 Tsp paste
Coriander powder 1 Tbsp
Pepper 1/2 Tsp
Lime juice 2 Tbso
Salt 1.5 Tsp
Fennel seeds 1 tsp
Peppercorns 1/2 Tsp
Cumin Seed 1/2 Tsp
Fenugreek seeds 6-7
Cinnamon 1″ stick
Whole Cloves 4
Garlic 15 cloves
Ginger 1″ grated
Coriander Seeds 2 Tbsp
Kashmiri Chile 6 seeded
Tamarind pulp 2 Tbsp
Ghee 7 Tbsp
Curry Leaf 10
Method to prepare Chicken Ghee Roast
- Wash and cut chicken into bite size pieces and marinade it in yogurt, ginger and garlic paste, coriander powder, pepper powder, Red Chile powder, turmeric, 1 Tsp salt and lime juice. Keep the marinated chicken on table top for about an hour.
- In a pan, heat 1 Tbsp ghee and add 15 garlic pods, fennel seeds, peppercorns, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, cinnamon, whole cloves, grated ginger, coriander seeds, and red chilies. Fry this for about a minute or so, add the tamrind pulp to the pan and about a cup of water. Allow the water to boil for about five minutes so that the masalas get soft. Cool down this mixture and make it into a fine paste.
- In a heavy bottom pan, add about 1/2 Tsp ghee and the marinated chicken along with the marinade. Cover and cook till the marinade becomes thick and the chicken cooks.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, heat the remaining ghee (about 5.5 Tbsp), temper with a handful of curry leaves and add the masala paste along with 1/2 Tsp salt. Allow the masala to get completely fried. Keep stirring so that the flavors from the aromatic spices blend with each other. The masala is done when you see ghee floating on top of the masala. This takes about the same amount of time that takes the chicken marinade to be cooked.
- Mix the cooked chicken with the fried masala and continue frying for about 10 minutes. Taste for salt and adjust if it is less.
- The chicken should be completely cooked by now and should get coated with a thick layer of masala. You will also see the ghee floating along with the masala.
- Garnish with curry leaves or coriander and serve hot.
Check out this quick video for the visual procedure.