Sarneda Adde Payasa is a unique Tulunadu cuisine prepared with rice & coconut (as with most other coastal dishes) and sweetened with Jaggery.
Ingredients to prepare Sarneda Adde
Raw white rice – 1 cup
Jaggery – 1 cup grated
Grated coconut – 2 cups
Cardamom powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Ghee – 2 tablespoon
Water – 4 cups
Salt to taste
Process to prepare Sarneda Adde
- Soak the rice for 4-6 hours.
- Grind the soaked rice by adding very little water so that the batter remains thick.
- Add salt as per taste and transfer to a bowl.
- Grind the grated coconut, squeeze out the coconut milk and keep this aside in a cup.
- Heat another vessel with 2 cups of water.
- Get hold of a vessel with holes at the bottom (available in most homes in Tulunadu). Alternatively, a ladle with perforations (see in the video) can be used.
- Press the semi solid batter through the holes.
- Add Jaggery and keep stirring so they do not stick to the vessel.
- After the tiny rice balls are cooked, add the coconut milk, cardamom powder and ghee.
- Let it cook for five minutes and turn off the flame.
Your Sarneda Adde is ready – serve hot.
You can check other interesting and unique Tulunadu cuisines here.