Egg Stumbler is a favorite street food of Mangalore. It is made from scrambled eggs with bite sized bread pieces. Everybody without exception has sweet memories of their special corner where this tastes the best. The spices in the egg coated bread pieces give them an alluring flavor to savor.
4 slices of bread
1 large onion finely chopped
2 medium sized tomatoes finely chopped
1 medium sized green chilli finely chopped
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/4 tsp pepper powder
1/2 tsp cumin/jeera powder
1 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped for garnishing
2 tbsp oil
Salt to taste
Method to prepare Egg Stumbler
- Break the eggs in a bowl and beat well.
- Trim the sides of the bread slices and cut into cubes. Keep aside.
- In a heavy bottomed pan/kadhai, heat cooking oil and toss in the chopped green chilli, onions, and fry till the onions are almost golden. Add the chopped tomatoes and fry for a couple of minutes till mushy
- Add salt as per taste.
- Add the turmeric, red chilli, pepper and cumin powder and fry on a low heat.
- Pour in the beaten egg mixture and stir on a medium low flame for about 2-3 minutes taking care to see that they don’t get scorched.
- When the eggs starts to get cooked but not yet done, add in the bread cubes and mix.
- The half cooked egg should coat the bread cubes. While mixing make sure you don’t break the soft bread.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot.
Egg Stumbler is served piping hot as a favorite tea time snack. Check out the below video to help your cooking.
For more interesting local recipes of the region, you can visit this page.