Menthe Ganji (in Tulu) is a rice and fenugreek porridge. It is simple to prepare and extremely nutritious from a health standpoint. Fenugreek seeds are a rich source of Vitamin B. It purifies blood, helps prevent pimples and wrinkles. The coconut milk in this recipe adds extra flavor and helps in hair growth along with adding shine and luster. The fenugreek seeds lose most of their bitterness by the addition of sweet jaggery.
Ingredients to prepare Menthe Ganji
1 cup rice (sona masoori or basmati)
1/4 cup Fenugreek / methi seeds (soaked overnight)
1 cup grated cane jaggery or palm jaggery
1 whole small fresh coconut grated
Pinch of salt
Method to prepare
- Wash and soak the Methi seeds in water overnight.
- Wash the rice and pressure cook along with soaked fenugreek seeds along with 5 cups of water for 2-3 whistles.
- Extract coconut milk by blending fresh grated coconut with water and straining.
- Add the jaggery and coconut milk to the rice methi mixture
- Cook till the jaggery melts and the porridge is thick
- Menthe ganji is ready to serve
- Sprinkle ghee and serve when it’s still steaming hot
See this video to understand the steps better.